The New Today
Local News

Construction Worker beaten and chopped over alleged rape of 13-year old school girl

A 25-year old St. Andrew construction worker was left to nurse chop wounds to the body after he was attacked Monday by a Grand Mal family following reports that he had raped a 13-year old schoolgirl who is a member of the family.

THE NEW TODAY on Wednesday spoke to the mother of the victim who said that a report had been made to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) about the alleged rape of her daughter in the St George North-west constituency.

The mother said that the alleged rape took place at the home of an elder daughter who is also living in the village.

She said that after the incident happened the little girl told her brothers what had happened to her at the hands of the alleged suspect.

The brothers caught up with the suspected rapist close to the gap leading to the Grand Mal Fisheries complex and the accused reportedly ran up towards Hypo’s Commercial complex about 500 yards away for rescue when he was again cornered by the cutlass wielding men who were in pursuit.

A female passerby told THE NEW TODAY that she saw a lot of blood on the ground from the chop wounds on the body of the man.

According to the mother, the schoolgirl was sent to the home of the elder sister to bring a cellphone for the construction worker since she (elder sister) wanted to pass on a message to him from his adopted father.

She described the alleged rapist as someone who is a friend of the family with the brothers and also the bigger sister.

Related:  Ex-Police Officer shed light on the remains of Maurice Bishop

“It is somebody that we know. He’s a friend of us,” she said.

The mother indicated that the construction worker did not have any personal relationship with the elder daughter but was given lodging by the family in order to save on transportation costs from the job that he was doing in the area.

She said that he is well known to the family and as he was working on a construction project close to them it was felt that in order for him to save on transportation cost and not to have to travel each day from the country into St. George and was allowed to stay with them.

“Sometimes he will stay by my step sister – sometimes he will stay by the brother – all of them staying in one yard,” she said.

According to the mother, she is waiting to get an update from CID officers on the investigation since she heard that the accused came out of hospital on Tuesday.

“I don’t know how true that is but his cousin called my big daughter last night (Tuesday) and told her that the guy (alleged rapist) came out (of hospital). The police tell me that when they release him, the hospital has to call him so that they will pick him up.

Up to the time of going to press, head of the Community Relations Department of the police force, Superintendent of Police, Vannie Curwen did not respond to queries from THE NEW TODAY about the Grand Mal incident.

If you are satisfied with the information provided by The New Today to our many readers, followers and supporters around the world, then you can show your appreciation by making a financial contribution to the effort of our team of dedicated workers.

Giving back is a way of saying thank you for our efforts

Support The New Today